Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bird of Paradise - Crane Flower



As a natural perfumer I am always looking for new and beautiful flowers and plants.  To my dismay I often find gorgeous flowers with brilliant colors, style, and absolutely no smell.  I walked around the yard today noticing how many lovely blooms I have with magnificent colors and no fragrance.  Geraniums, daisies, bougainvillea, cactus blooms, amaryllis, flowering trees, red bottle brush, red hot poker, on and on.  Some of these plants have smell in the leaves when you crush them.  The scented rose geraniums are one plant that the leaves smell wonderful and we steam distill them for essential oil for aromatherapy and for perfume. 

Isn't nature fascinating?  Of course my roses smell wonderful, look beautiful,  and are much appreciated.