Thursday, November 17, 2011

Do aromatic journeys always have to be with perfume?


At the store I found these wonderful golden delicious apples..I couldn't wait to get home and make apple crisp.  As I was cutting up the apples I realized how much cooking and baking is like creating perfume.  The fresh fruity aroma of the apples..adding the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves..is like adding the spice element to a perfume..The melted butter for the topping reminded me of my butter co2 I use.  Oatmeal and brown sugar mixed with flour adds a nutty smell. 


So the Aromatic Journey of measuring the ingredients, stirring them together had many similarities to making natural fragrances.

I must say the ultimate aroma came when the apple crisp was almost done..the cinnamon and spicy notes were singing in the oven..the apple aroma was like fresh hot cider..I started salivating..oh my...tell me this is not perfume!


Here is the recipe I have used for many years...I double the topping as I really love the crunch with the soft apples..contrast is good.  Enjoy!  By the way..there are no calories in this recipe..hehe.


Apple Crisp

9 x 9 baking pan

350 degrees oven

4 cups or more peeled, cored, and sliced apples

Topping:  (I double this)
2/3 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup soft butter
1/2 cup oatmeal, old fashioned kind
dash nutmeg, cloves..whatever pops your cork

Butter the pan and add the apples. Mix the other ingredients and spread over the apples.  Bake 1 hour at 350 degree oven.

Goes good with coffee..